Thursday, November 12, 2009

"Turtle" Learning Adventure


Okay. I have been working on this "turtle" adventure for over 20 hours and have reached the limit of my patience. I was finally able to get the turtle to create my single patch. It took me hours just to create a basic patch. When I see what the others within the cadre did, I don't even want to share my patch as it looks like a first grade drawing compared to college artists work. Despite this I continued to work on the patch to get it to work correctly. After hours of working on my own and wanting to throw the computer through the window, I finally sent out an SOS e-mail. I sent an e-mail to my cadre mates (God bless them!!) with questions as to what to do to get it to work. They responded promptly which was appreciated. I was able to speak with two of them over the phone and they were able to talk me through the glitches as well as explain the code for quilting. After speaking with them, I was able to look at the code for my patch and see my error and fix it. I then decided to give myself a break before trying to tackle the quilting. I was working on it for over four hours and still not getting it to work. So I sent out another SOS e-mail hoping that my cadre mates could point me in the direction of success. This time the help came in the use of the "google wave". Using the wave, I was able to communicate directly with one of my cadre mates and work on the problem together. We combined the "wave" with an e-mail and success was achieved. Or a least my version of success. Without the help of my cadre mates there would have been no success achieved as I would have just walked away from this assignment.
The feeling of failure in this adventure is great. My patch is basic and I can't even figure out basic code. The really hard part is that one of the next assignments in another class also involves programming and writing code. I am no looking forward to it with any sort of joy only with severe anxiety. The nice thing is that I now my cadre mates will be there to lend me a hand when I get stuck. I just wish I had the ability to assist them as they have helped me.