Sunday, December 6, 2009

Time Constraints

This reflection is on my participation in various aspects of classes this semester. I knew that when I entered this program that the work load was going to be intense, however the intensity is more than I anticipated. Here is the challenge. I teach and have approximately 200 students that I am responsible for teaching science and technology to. I can not short change them to ensure that I met the deadlines and read the copious amount of books for these classes. My students are important to me and this program has reinforced that. The program has already had an affect on my teaching in that I am more actively involved with my students and their education. This has introduced more requirements for my time in planning and communicating with the students and their families. On top of this, I am trying to read the large number of books and articles required for the classes. Then you top it off by the reflections we are supposed to write for each class and the projects required. Finally you add the time spent on putting together a well thought out, meaningful action research project and you find that you have a 90 hour week just for work and school. Add to that the time spent with my family and you see the challenge I face. How do you balance all that and maintain your health and sanity? It is not nor has it ever been my intention to shirk my duties to my students or this program but there is just so much I can do. I feel that I have given my best in all areas of study and work. The people being short changed on my time are my family. They are willing to give up our time so that I can complete the program and they understand the importance of this for me. Know that I am doing the best I can and will continue to participate to the fullest extent allowed by time constraints.