Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day One: The Beginning

A little over four months ago, I decided to apply to Pepperdine Graduate School in order to work towards a Masters in Educational Technology. Once the paperwork was done, the interviews conducted, I found that I was accepted into the program. I was excited and ready to tackle whatever came next. What came next was VirtCamp in Malibu. Leading up to camp were e-mails of things to accomplish (with all the anxiety of getting it done on time and not being behind before the journey began), reassurance that all was in order (even if I didn't know what the order was) and a warm welcoming tone.
Today is the big day, the first day of VirtCamp. I have moved through a series of emotions ranging from excitement to doubt to anxiety. It started off with excitement at meeting my roommates and heading to class. The beginning of class rocked with the getting to know you activity of video taping an intro with your team. After that the scary part began. The introduction of the expectations of the class and where we were headed on this journey to earning a Masters. There were times while listening to what was awaiting us that I thought to myself "What did I get into? Am I really up to this? What do I have to offer?" The most important question I asked myself was "are you sure this is what you want to do?" Listening to the outlines of what was to come sent waves of anxiety crashing through me. The positive part is this program will stretch me to be better at what I do. The one thing Paul and Margaret stated that made me think this is where I belong was "relationships are important in learning". This falls directly into the philosophy of my teaching. You need to establish a relationship with those you are working with to give them a vested interest in the outcome. This is the one thing I will hang onto throughout this journey. So here I am climbing into the car, holding on and getting ready to ride!! Join me as I travel through the Masters program.